Sunday, February 22, 2009

Plus-Size Cover Girl

I thought this might be a good place to discuss articles I find about size acceptance issues... especially since I get virtually no response to similar topics I post in fat-friendly forums.

Cathy came across this article about a plus-size British singer named Beth Ditto who posed nude for the cover of a British fashion magazine that aspires to target people with "realistic" bodies.

While this isn't the first time a lady of size has made a cover - Oprah has the record for most consecutive appearances by default - it is the first "nude" cover I recall that didn't have even more adult content inside. We looked for the magazine at both Borders and Barnes & Noble with no success. Upon further research at home, we discovered that it was a British-based publication that just came out last week. It sounds like something I'll have to look for in an independent bookstore somewhere in DC. So I'll be doing some research during lunch or after work sometime this week.

1 comment:

Meg said...

That is awesome, i bet if that happened here, it would produce arguments everywhere. But I love it..... I like how they didn't really try to put her in a pose that "slimmed her" or covered rolls, they let her show her natural beauty. wonderful, thanks for sharing.