Friday, September 24, 2010

The Pledge To America

On another social network, a friend of mine posted the Republican-drafted Pledge for America:
http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/pledgetoamerica.pdf.

While I agreed with few of the concepts, I was glad to finally see more specifics about what the GOP aspires to do.

Here is my response to my friend's post with a bit more thorough spell checking:

Much of the first few pages look like they could have been written by Pelosi and Reid four years ago.

I'm cool with medical malpractice tort reform; i.e. a max limit on subjective "pain and suffering" not the actual lifetime medical costs. I'm sure the Democrats had to placate the trial lawyers lobby by not including it.

Letting people buy insurance across state lines sounds good in theory. I have heard that some states currently have very few choices. My concern is that this plan would ironically result in an oligopoly of companies who adopt the "Wal-Mart approach" of undercutting smaller insurance companies and later, after buying or bankrupting said companies, raising their rates.

Interesting graph on page 13. I wonder how much weight they truly gave Bush's bailout spending. At least they made Clinton look relatively good. Imagine that!

I don't agree that the individual mandate to purchase health insurance is a "tax". Every time an uninsured person uses the ER as their primary care facility, we insured people pay a "tax" in higher rates.

Judging from the emphasis on defense spending on pages 19 and 20, it sounds like all we have to do is convince all able-bodied poor to put themselves up on the front lines and that would balance the starvation of social programs to fund the increase in military investment.

2 comments:

Janie said...

interesting take, but I can't fairly comment yet, I haven't read it the 'pledge' yet :(

Tony said...

Well, it's not like you're particularly busy or anything. ;-) It actually won't take that long to read as a lot of the draft seems to repeat itself.