Monday, November 17, 2008

Comic Relief?

I'm a big comic book fan. I've been collecting for over thirty years, save a six-year period in my teens when I thought I was "too mature" for them.

Ironically, it seems like the books have grown up along with their readers with more sophisticated writing and even specific titles made for adults. As for the rest of the books, many of them now come with a rating similar to TV or video games. What's surprising to me, however, is the many titles that don't feature such a rating.

Marvel is relatively consistent with their rating system. But when a DC title like Teen Titans feature a graphic scene of someone being mauled - with no rating whatsoever on the book - I'm wondering just what audience are they trying to target? Even their current Final Crisis mini-series, which is essentially required reading as it has ramifications through on much of their "universe", has some pretty hardcore scenes involving beheadings.

Now, I am far from a prude. Some of these scenes were shocking because I didn't expect it - which I suppose was part of the writers' plan - but I don't know if anyone under 15 or 16 should be looking at most of this stuff these days. To give both Marvel and DC some credit, they do have titles aimed at children with either tamer versions of a storyline (e.g. the Marvel Age books) or kid versions of superheroes ("Tiny Titans"). I just think each could do a better job with their rating system.

No comments: