Wednesday, November 11, 2009

So it finally looks as if I may have latched onto a long-term gig.

On Monday, I began my new role as a contractor with the Department of Justice. Without getting into any potentially classified details, let's just say I'm reconciling expense accounts. Not too difficult in theory but nonetheless I'm a bit anxious. I will have to learn a lot of new terminology and procedures. Even though I've been told by several that the learning curve usually lasts about three months, I do tend to be pretty demanding on myself for getting up to speed on things. I also would like to make a good impression as this kind of opportunity could open up other doors with the government. Having "cleared" the hurdle doesn't hurt in this area. It would be nice to slide over to the National Archives or Library of Congress one day.

It also feels good to make a more steady financial contribution to the household. Even though The Lady feels that I have contributed in other ways - I could have starred in "Househusbands of Northern Virginia" - I feel more independent and "manly" being able to win some of the bread myself.

I still don't think that I will retire as an accountant... but there are surely "worse" careers to be in these days.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

mmm.. I really enjoyed that show.. Househusbands of NoVA. Too bad it was cancelled. Darn critics!

Tony said...

The show was cancelled due to lack of funding. *smirk*